Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Guests, Welcome to Fountain Pen Classifieds

Can't See Photos? Register Now For FREE Buying, Selling & Trading and Complete Access!

This website is the only pen enthusiast site devoted exclusively to buying, selling, and trading writing instruments and accessories.

And it's completely FREE to use.
No fees whatsoever!

To get started, please register for your free membership. Only members can:

--Post buy/sell/trade listings or reply to postings
--Create a custom profile
--Contact other members by personal message (PM) or email
--Subscribe to categories, forums, and topics (so you can watch for new items being posted, etc.)
--View photos in posts

We're working hard to become the #1 website for writing instrument commerce.

Take a moment and join now!

Like Us on Facebook, Follow Us on Twitter!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How are we doing on FPC?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PointyThings

PointyThings

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 242 posts
  • LocationDFW, Texas

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

It's been nearly three months since FPC launched and we're up to more than 560 members.

A big thank you to everyone who had joined and participated!

Overall, I think FPC has been progressing nicely, though things have slowed down a bit. I'd like to change that.

I've spent the past two days at the Dallas Pen Show, where I sold a few odds and ends and promoted FPC.

I also had the chance to talk about FPC with collectors and dealers. Most people I spoke with were happy to share their opinions about this site.

Now it's your turn.

What do you like about FPC and what do you think needs to change?

I'm developing a clearer listing policy for FPC that I think will benefit everyone. I know the current policy is a bit vague, so I'm working to make it simple and straightforward.

In addition to the listing policy, I have a few ideas I want to run past you.

One of those ideas is a "Best Offers" section under "For Sale" that allows sellers to list an item with an invitation for offers. This will not be an auction, but an option for sellers who have trouble setting a price. Thoughts on this?

I'm also exploring options for promoting FPC so we can increase membership and visitors to the site. More visitors will improve FPC as a center for pen commerce.

What else would you like to see?

--Karl

#2 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 429 posts
  • LocationUSA (NJ)

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

Karl,

I think that overall the site is doing quite well! There are a lot of members here. It would be great to see more member partcipation. This site is a good alternative to buy and sell pens. The majority of people seem to be discouraged in selling pens on other site(s).

The "Best Offer" option seems OK, but it would be just as good if the sellers were also willing to say "Or Best Offer" on their ad. Maybe a radio button can be added on the sales post to allow for a "Best Offer"?

.... just me .02!

Frank :)

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

We sell quality, known brands at reasonable prices!!
(Use forum code "FPC" to receive an additional discount of 5%!)

www.federalistpensonline.com   (Online Pen Store)

Linked-In Group!

Like Us on Facebook!

#3 curtis

curtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Locationremlap, al

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

I disagree with the "Best Offer" idea. First of all no matter how it's worded it's like an auction. What if four best offers come in? The highest will be accepted if the seller has a price in mind. How is that not an auction? Secondly most people who list an item have enough knowledge to put a price. If not anyone can google an item to get an idea.

#4 PointyThings

PointyThings

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 242 posts
  • LocationDFW, Texas

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

This is an old thread and the best offer idea never went anywhere. So the policy of naming a price still applies. (This unfortunately resulted in a member leaving when I suggested that they post a starting price and not leave it only as "send me your best offer).

But to get back to what constitutes an auction; in my view, a "for sale" listing becomes an auction only when offers are made public. I personally prefer naming a starting price, even if it's on the high side, like "$200 or best offer." Any declined offers are the business of the seller and potential buyer only.

#5 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 429 posts
  • LocationUSA (NJ)

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

This is an old thread and the best offer idea never went anywhere. So the policy of naming a price still applies. (This unfortunately resulted in a member leaving when I suggested that they post a starting price and not leave it only as "send me your best offer).

But to get back to what constitutes an auction; in my view, a "for sale" listing becomes an auction only when offers are made public. I personally prefer naming a starting price, even if it's on the high side, like "$200 or best offer." Any declined offers are the business of the seller and potential buyer only.

+1

Best solution!

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

We sell quality, known brands at reasonable prices!!
(Use forum code "FPC" to receive an additional discount of 5%!)

www.federalistpensonline.com   (Online Pen Store)

Linked-In Group!

Like Us on Facebook!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users