Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Guests, Welcome to Fountain Pen Classifieds

Can't See Photos? Register Now For FREE Buying, Selling & Trading and Complete Access!

This website is the only pen enthusiast site devoted exclusively to buying, selling, and trading writing instruments and accessories.

And it's completely FREE to use.
No fees whatsoever!

To get started, please register for your free membership. Only members can:

--Post buy/sell/trade listings or reply to postings
--Create a custom profile
--Contact other members by personal message (PM) or email
--Subscribe to categories, forums, and topics (so you can watch for new items being posted, etc.)
--View photos in posts

We're working hard to become the #1 website for writing instrument commerce.

Take a moment and join now!

Like Us on Facebook, Follow Us on Twitter!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

~FS~ Two American and Six English Mechanical Pencils

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Michael McNeil

Michael McNeil

FPC Supporter!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationOregon, U.S.A.

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:04 AM

Hi all,

This is a fresh list of mechanical pencils from a fairly large group of fountain pens and pencils that I recently acquired. Most are of English/UK manufacture. I am trying for a sales list with variety in the MP's. I have checked all of these to make sure they are working properly and that the pocket clips are tight. I have NOT done any polishing or tarnish removal on them, so if you see one or more that you would like to purchase and would like me to polish or remove tarnish, please let me know and I will do it at no extra charge for you.

If you see one or more pens that you like, please reply to me at:

michael@northwestpenworks.com

If you intend to make a purchase, please read "Rules, Shipping,
Etc." at the bottom of this post.

Pen #1. 1920's Dur-O-Lite mechanical pencil in marbled yellow and cream plastic. I'm not sure of an exact date for this pencil, but with a little research that I did, I think it was made sometime between about 1927 and 1929. I know it is pretty early. The bottom part of the crown is marked "PATD. AND PATS. PEND.". This version has a crown that screws down, as opposed to an earlier version that had a friction fit crown. The mechanism is working and it is a "nose drive". It is a fairly large pencil measuring 3/8 inch or nearly 10 mm across the flats of the facets. The lead is .046 inch or 1.1 mm dia. The length of the pencil, with the lead retracted, is 5 13/16 inches or 14.8 cm. It has a light patina on the metal, a bit of pitting just above the clip ball and a few scratches and other signs of use. For about a 90 year old pencil, it is in very good condition, much better that one would expect.

Price $45.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

36050948462_d3d563a7cb_b.jpg

2. circa 1932 John Holland mechanical pencil in reddish brown with white veining. A color that looks exactly like the color that Waterman's used and named "Mahogany". The ball of the clip has brassing on top. The pencil has some other signs of use, tiny scratches, etc., but the overall condition is Excellent. These had a matching fountain pen and there is one out there somewhere.The mechanism is working and it is a "nose drive", you turn the nozzle to propel and repel the lead. The lead is.046 inch or 1.1 mm dia. The diameter of the pencil is slightly over 3/8 inch or 10 mm and the length is 5 1/8 or 13 cm.

Price $50.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

35411899593_60f5e13381_b.jpg

3. Yard-O-Led pencil in the mysterious "Platinine" metal. I believe the name refers to an alloy mixture of Nickel, Zinc, and Copper. Yard-O-Led pencils were, and still are made in England/U.K. This one may be the "Universal Model". I think it was made sometime between about 1954 and 1960. This one has a small "Barley Corn" and smooth panel pattern. It has one small dent on the barrel, below and to the side of the clip and it has a couple of tiny bump marks on the crown. The crown is also the turning knob used to propel and repel the led, I mean lead... Which makes me wonder if Led Zepplin took part of their name from Yard-O-Led. We may never know for sure! The pencil has micro scratches from normal use. The mechanism is working well. The diameter of the barrel is about 5 /16 inch or 8 mm. The length of the pencil is 4 15/16 inches or 12.6 cm. The lead diameter is .046 inch or 1.1 mm.

Price $60.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

35411901833_1c7c006d33_b.jpg

4. Life-Long mechanical pencil. Life-Long may have been made by Mentmore. I am still researching these pencils as I can find them on the internet. I do not know what type of metal this one was made from, but I am sure it is not sterling. I suspect that it is chromium plated nickel silver. It is a really neat design. It has a tapered crown, very long tapered nose, with a hexagonal center part that has a barley corn pattern. It appears to be a high quality advertising pencil that is engraved on the backside "Peterborough Central Printers Ltd. I think the company is still in business, but seems to have evolved since the pencil was made. The lead is propelled and repelled by turning the top. The lead is .046 inch or 1.1 mm. The length of the pencil (with lead retracted) is 5 1/8 inches or 13.1 cm. Overall the pencil has survived very well there are some micro scratches and there is a bit of very light corrosion on the lower half of the clip.

Price $65.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

36050948522_2e1e07bcd2_b.jpg

5. Anonymous mechanical pencil Rolled Gold with four wavy line panel engine turned pattern. from the crown to just below the tip of the clip is a plain smooth finish. The only damage I can see is a thin line of brassing around the top edge of the crown, which I think was likely caused by carrying the pencil in shirt pockets with flaps. The mechanism is a twist propel/repel activated by turning the top. The lead is .046 inch or 1.1 mm dia. The length of the pencil (lead retracted) is 4 3/4 inches or 12.0 cm. In the photo you will see a gap between the pencil's top and the top of the barrel. It was because I did not notice that I neglected to push the top all the way down before taking the photo.

Price $60.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

35411899813_519e04e12e_b.jpg

6. 1930's (?) Life-Long mechanical pencil in sterling silver. This one has two different and attractive wavy line patterns that are very deeply engine turned. The crown has about four flattened spots along the top edge and the fancy ring that protrudes around the top. There is also some damage on the tip. The pencil mechanism is working well and it is a twist propel/repel activated by turning the top. The lead diameter is .036 inch or .9 mm. The length of the pencil (lead retracted) is 4 5/8 inches or 11.8 cm. It has one of the unusual spoon shaped clips. Even with the bits of damage, this is a neat looking pencil.

36050948532_c46a1a2031_b.jpg

7. Life-Long mechanical pencil in sterling silver. I think this one is from around the 1940's. It has two different engine turned patterns in alternating panels. One is barley corn and the other resembles folded ribbon. The pencil has lots of little scratches, but no dents and no bump marks that I can see. The indicia panel is engraved with the name Grace H. Stevens in cursive italic. The pencil mechanism is working well and it is a twist propel/repel activated by turning the top. The lead is .046 inch or 1.1 mm dia. The pencil has light and fairly even patina all over. And that unusual spoon shaped clip! Love those...

I just realized that I had offered this pencil on a previous sales list, and the price has been reduced.

Price reduced to $65.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

35411899723_e7008cc501_b.jpg

8. circa 1960 Yard-O-Led pencil in Rolled Gold. The pencil has no damage that I can see, other than a few micro scratches. In fact I would grade it as Near Mint condition. I think this is YOL's "Recorder Model". The pencil has a solid longitudinal line engine turned pattern, that I believe both Wahl-Eversharp and Waterman's called "Colonial". The indicia panel is on the side of the cap and has not been engraved with names or initials. This is a twist propel/repel mechanism activated by turning the cap. The mechanism is working well. The lead is .046 or 1.1 mm dia. The length of the pencil (lead retracted) is 5 1/16 inches or 12.7 cm. This is a very nice looking pencil.

Price $75.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

35411901843_1668fd6198_b.jpg

Rules, Shipping, Etc.

The usual rules apply, the person sending the first e-mail on an item
~stating intent to purchase~ gets the item. I will give you 5 days to
decide if you like the pen or not. I prefer payment by PayPal but also
accept checks or money orders in USD. I can only accept payment by
PayPal from countries outside the U.S. I ship worldwide, so
international customers are always welcome.

Prices are post paid in the U.S., and will be shipped with a tracking
number. I normally ship by U.S. Postal Service Priority Mail, which
is about $34.00 to most countries, except Canada, which is less.
I can also ship to other countries by Express International Mail,
if you request it, but it is costly.

Return Policy: I will always allow pens, or other items, to be
returned. If there is a problem I would prefer the chance to fix the problem
or replace the item, when and if possible. Otherwise a full refund
will be offered. If you find a problem and choose to send the item
(pen, mechanical pencil, etc.) to someone else to be corrected, I will
not be responsible for any other problems.

Happy penning!

Michael McNeil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users