Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Guests, Welcome to Fountain Pen Classifieds

Can't See Photos? Register Now For FREE Buying, Selling & Trading and Complete Access!

This website is the only pen enthusiast site devoted exclusively to buying, selling, and trading writing instruments and accessories.

And it's completely FREE to use.
No fees whatsoever!

To get started, please register for your free membership. Only members can:

--Post buy/sell/trade listings or reply to postings
--Create a custom profile
--Contact other members by personal message (PM) or email
--Subscribe to categories, forums, and topics (so you can watch for new items being posted, etc.)
--View photos in posts

We're working hard to become the #1 website for writing instrument commerce.

Take a moment and join now!

Like Us on Facebook, Follow Us on Twitter!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

~FS~ Mechanical Pencils - Yard-O-Led - Life-Long - Auto Sharp - Eversharp plus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Michael McNeil

Michael McNeil

FPC Supporter!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationOregon, U.S.A.

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:21 AM

Hi all,

I have a large group of mechanical pencils that I will be selling. Where I end up selling them depends on whether or not I get interest from the different online venues.

Most of the pencils are sterling silver and I also have quite a few in red and black hard rubber and also plastic. I thought I would start with mostly the sterling silver pencils.

Before the Earth was invaded by ball point pens in 1946, we humans used dip pens, fountain pens and mechanical and wooden pencils. Pencils were used to take notes, write letters, postcards, calling cards, etc. There was no worry about graphite lines washing away from water, coffee, tea being spilled on paper, like happens with most fountain pen inks, and you can do corrections with an eraser! Mechanical pencils were even carried by people who were illiterate, to make others think that the person carrying one in their pocket could read and write. I have seen many old letters and postcards written with a pencil. One of my first memories of a mechanical pencil was a full size silver Eversharp sharp, that my Grandmother kept in a desk drawer with her fountain pens, dip pens, paper and ink bottles. I still sometimes grab a mechanical pencil to take notes.

If you see one or more pencils that you like, please reply to me at:

michael@northwestpenworks.com

If you intend to make a purchase, please read "Rules, Shipping,
Etc." at the bottom of this post.

#1. ~SOLD~ to M.F.

1950 Yard-O-Led mechanical pencil in sterling with a fine "Barley Corn" pattern. There are no dents or bump marks on the metal. It does have light tarnish/patina. I can remove the tarnish on request for no extra fee. It has the initials "M.L." engraved on the indicia panel, on the backside of the barrel, in a sort of capital italic Roman style. This the typical YOL hexagonal shape and interesting Yard-O-Led riveted clip. The pencil is working working well. The lead size is 1.1 mm or .046 inch. There are some extra leads inside the barrel. The lead is propelled and repelled by turning the top of the pencil aka rear drive. The hall marks are "JMB Co., date mark "P", rampant lion for the U.K. and the London lion's head. It also has a patent number at the top. The condition is Excellent.

~SOLD~ to M.F. $95.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

YOLSter1B_zpsptle4duq.jpg

2. 1955 Yard-O-Led mechanical pencil in sterling silver. The pattern is smooth plain long-short-long dashes (long rectangles) surrounded by wavy lines and straight lines. The crown is round and tapered with a beveled end. The barrel is hexagonal. There are no dents, bump marks, scratches or tarnish. The lead size is 1.1 mm or .046 inch. The lead is propelled and repelled by turning the top of the pencil aka rear drive. The hall marks are "JMB Co., date mark "P", rampant lion for the U.K. and the London lion's head. It also has a patent number at the top. The pencil mechanism is working well. There doesn't seem to any extra leads inside, but I know where you can get them! The condition is Excellent.

Price $95.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

YOLSter2B_zps6tie4suk.jpg

3. Unknown Victorian mechanical pencil in sterling silver with "line & dot" and barley corn pattern. The top of the pencil has a faceted amethyst mounted. The only hallmark on the pencil is an "H" on the nozzle. The nozzle is extended by a slide ring. There are a couple of small dents next to the slot for the slide ring, but the nozzle fully extends. The pencil takes a fairly small diameter lead and I have not tried to fit one to it. It looks like about a .9 mm or .036, but it could be smaller. With the nozzle extended the pencil measures 4 1/8 inches or 10.5 cm. The barrel is hexagonal and the diameter is about 5 mm. I can remove the tarnish on request for no extra fee.

Price $85.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

SterAnonPncl1B_zpssqvo4p1v.jpg

SterAnonPncl1End2_zpspdnbapxg.jpg

4. circa 1916 Mabie Todd "Mabie Magazine Pencil" in hand engraved sterling silver, made in New York. This would also be called a lead holder. The lead is held by friction. You have to turn the nozzle to loosen and tighten the grippers that hold the lead in place. When loosened the lead moves freely in and out. There is a diagonal dent about 1/3 the way up the barrel and it is about 4 or 5 mm. The barrel has flattened spots on both sides of the clip. The engraving is sort of a flower and vine pattern. The engraving is exceptionally deep. I can remove the tarnish on request for no extra fee . The pencil measures 5 1/16 inches or 12.9 cm. The lead is very fat, measuring 2.42 mm or .0955 inch. I like this one and if it doesn't sell, it can live here at our house.

Price $85.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

MabieToddHeSter1B_zpsrmecmz73.jpg

5. American Lead Company "Reversible" dip pen. Chromium plated brass. I am not exactly sure of the date of this one. My guess is after the turn of the turn of the century, probably around 1900 to 1916 or so. I think the Eagle reversible dip pens are likely more common than these are, but it's just a guess. Closed the pen measures 4 9/16 inches or 11.7 cm. Both ends have very fine light pitting in the plating, but over all I would call the condition Excellent, especially after finding a used one on eBay.

Price $75.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

AmLeadDipPen2_zps4nmzfixm.jpg

AmLeadDipPenOpen2_zpsiscgjsuq.jpg

6. Life-Long sterling silver mechanical pencil with ribbon and barley corn engine turned pattern. These were made in England. I am guessing that this one was made in about the 1930's. Oddly, this brand does not have typical British hallmarks and I don't know how they got around using standard British hallmarks, they are just marked "Life-Long" in cursive and "sterling silver". I like the clips on these, they look like a spoon with a big handle. The indicia panel had the name "Grace H. Stevens" engraved in cursive. These are a propel/repel "rear drive" when the top is turned. The pencil is 5 inches or 12.2 cm. There are no dents, bump marks or big scratches. It has micro scratches from normal use and light tarnish/patina. The mechanism is working smoothly and it sounds like it has extra leads inside the barrel. I can remove the tarnish on request for no extra fee.

LifeLongSter1B_zpsr07etgvx.jpg

7. Eversharp full size mechanical pencil in hand engraved sterling silver. I think this one was probably made before 1920, it is marked Wahl and Eversharp. It has more of an open engraved design with flowers, that have leaves behind them, which to me have always resembled maple leaves. Also, it has nice curly flora designs between the flowers. It is NOT engraved with a name or initials. It has three small bump marks on the back side and the crown bead is slightly pushed down. The metal tip has a chip out of the edge, but it does not affect the function. The mechanism is working and it has extra leads inside the barrel. The length of the pencil is 5 1/8 inches or 13 cm. I can remove the tarnish on request for no extra fee.

Price $75.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

EversharpHESter1B_zpsqngqnb1u.jpg

8. 1937 Eversharp short model mechanical pencil in sterling silver, smooth finish. This one was made in England and is hallmarked on the crown, clip and barrel. The pencil has a "soldier clip" mounted on the crown. There is a narrow diagonal bump mark about 3 mm long, down towards the nozzle. It has scratches and light marks from normal use. This is a propel/repel mechanism activated by turning the crown. The mechanism is working well and it has some extra leads in the barrel. The lead size is 1.1 mm or .046 inch. The length of the pencil is 4 inches or 10 cm. English made Eversharp pencils are fairly hard to find in the U.S.

Price $65.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

EversharpUK1B_zps9b1cylt2.jpg

EversharpUK1Close2_zpst9ocxszr.jpg

9. ~SOLD~ to J.H.

Circa 1920 Auto Sharp pencil in smooth sterling silver. These were made by New Diamond Point Pen Co., in New York City. This one has about a 1.5 mm dent above the nozzle, another next to the clip and three smaller bump marks. It also has some flattened marks on top of the crown. I believe these are fairly scarce pencils. I certainly have never seen one before. The mechanism is working. This is a fairly long pencil and measures 5 7/16 inches or 13.9 cm. The mechanism is propel/repel and the lead is advanced by turning the crown. The nozzle unscrews to allow access to the leads inside of the barrel, which is a bit unusual. The lead size is 1.1 mm or .046 inch. I can remove the tarnish on request for no extra fee.

~SOLD~ to J.H. $75.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

AutoSharpSter2_zpstyob00s4.jpg

10. ~SOLD~ to Y.H.

Autopoint pencil in transparent yellow with gold filled trim. This is a pretty cool one! It has what I call "self advertising", as it advertises the company that made it, for promotional purposes. The barrel is imprinted "AUTOPOINT - THE BETTER PENCIL" and I have included a photo of the imprint. There is no damage to report. This one is a "nose drive", you turn the nozzle to propel the lead. There are extra leads under the crown and eraser. The length of the pencil is 5 5/8 inches or 14.3 cm. The lead size is 1.1 mm or .046 inch. The condition is Excellent.

~SOLD~ to Y.H. $55.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

AutopointAdv2_zpsqeltx9nk.jpg

AutopointAdvImpC2_zpszpybxa0x.jpg

11. ~SOLD~ to J.H.

1920's Eversharp full size mechanical pencil in sterling silver. This one is the "Colonial" pattern which is a solid longitudinal line pattern. These are found much more often in gold filled and they are harder to find in this pattern in sterling. There are no dents or bump marks, but there are a few hard to see scratches from normal use. The mechanism is working properly. It has extra leads inside. The length is 5 1/4 inches or 13.3 cm. The lead size is 1.1 mm or .046 inch.  I can remove the tarnish on request for no extra fee. The condition is Excellent.

~SOLD~ to J.H. $75.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

EversharpColonialSter2_zpslmyalw4s.jpg

12. Yard-O-Led mechanical pencil in Rhodium Plated Nickel Silver. This one is a user grade. There are no dents or bump marks, but it has tiny pitting all over the rhodium plating. The shape is round instead of hex. The pattern is barley corn panels. The mechanism is working properly and I will add some leads to it. The length of the pencil is 4 5/8 inches or 11.7 cm. The clip is the older riveted YOL style.

Price $27.00 shipping included in the U.S. Foreign shipping see "Rules, Shipping, Etc." below.

YOL2plated2_zpsk4evubrt.jpg

Rules, Shipping, Etc.

The usual rules apply, the person sending the first e-mail on an item
~stating intent to purchase~ gets the item. I will give you 5 days to
decide if you like the pen or not. I prefer payment by PayPal but also
accept checks or money orders in USD. I can only accept payment by
PayPal from countries outside the U.S. I ship worldwide, so
international customers are always welcome.

Prices are post paid in the U.S., and will be shipped with a tracking
number. I normally ship by U.S. Postal Service Priority Mail, which
is about $34.00 to most countries, except Canada, which is less.
I can also ship to other countries by Express International Mail,
if you request it, but it is costly.

Return Policy: I will always allow pens, or other items, to be
returned. If there is a problem I would prefer the chance to fix the problem
or replace the item, when and if possible. Otherwise a full refund
will be offered. If you find a problem and choose to send the item
(pen, mechanical pencil, etc.) to someone else to be corrected, I will
not be responsible for any other problems.

Happy penning!

Michael McNeil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users