Fountain Pen Classifieds is based on the old system of selling used by the Fountain Pen Network prior to June 2011. It is completely free for everyone to use.
This system is quite simple and uses a bulletin board (or forum) format for item listings and conversation.
Here's how it breaks down:
- To create a new listing (to sell an item, to create a wanted to buy or trade listing, etc.), you must create a new "topic."
- The topic contains all relevant info (item description, photos, price, shipping cost and payment terms--in the case of a simple "For Sale" listing)
- Once you've created a new topic, potential buyers, traders, or sellers can contact you by
- posting a "reply" to your topic (sometimes referred to as a "comment")
- sending you a message through the website's messaging system (often called a "PM" or "personal message")
- emailing you (email addresses can be seen by visiting a member's profile--available ONLY to other registered members)
The actual transaction is handled privately between the two parties making the transaction. Fountain Pen Classifieds does not collect money, hold money or items in escrow, monitor the transaction or is involved in any way other than providing a method of communication between the two parties.
Most people handle their transactions like so (I'll use a simple "For Sale" transaction in this example):
- Seller lists an item for sale by creating a new topic in the appropriate category.
- Potential buyer sees the item and wishes to buy it.
- Potential buyer contacts the seller (preferably by sending an email or message (PM) to the seller) and says, "Yes, I want to buy this item."
- The seller responds to the buyer if the item is still available and agrees to sell the item to the buyer for a certain price with specific shipping charges. Sellers also provide info about how to make a payment (address for check or money order, PayPal email address, etc.).
- At this point most sellers update their listing by editing it to indicate the item is "on hold" or "sold."
- The buyer sends the payment.
- The seller sends the item to the buyer.
- If the seller edited this listing to show the item as "on hold," then they now edit it to show the item as "sold." And make sure to add the word "sold" to the beginning of your item title so the Admin (me) can find it easily and move your listing to the "ended" subcategory.
- REMEMBER: Please leave your listing intact once your item has sold. Do not delete the text of the listing. If possible, leave the photos in place if your photo hosting service (or FPC) has enough space. This is important so other people can find FPC on the search engines and it serves as a useful historical price reference for other buyers and sellers.